Contributed by Olga Vanucci
- There are about 900,000 abortions in the U.S. each year, a 40% reduction since 1990.
- That’s 18.8 abortions for every 100 pregnancies.
- The number of abortion providers has dropped from a high of 2,918 in 1982 to 1,671 in 2014.
- The number of deaths annually in the U.S. resulting from abortions has declined from 2,700 women in 1930 to about 200 in 1965 to around 10 currently.
- 88% of abortions take place in developing countries.
- 49% of abortions in developing countries are unsafe.
- 6.9 million women are treated annually in developing regions for complications from unsafe abortions.