Contributed by Olga Vanucci.
Just the Facts:
- There are about 20 million veterans in the U.S., 7% of the population, and 1 out of 10 are women.
- 4 million veterans served since 2001, and 17% of those veterans are women.
- 9 million veterans are 65+ years old.
- 7 million veterans aged 18-64 are in the labor force, and they have higher annual incomes than non-veterans.
- 4-5 million veterans have a service-connected disability, 20-25% of all veterans.
- Among veterans who served since 2001, 1.7 million, over 40%, have a service-connected disability, and nearly half of these veterans have a service-connected disability rating of 60% or higher, meaning more severe.
- One-third of employed veterans with a disability work in federal, state, or local government, compared with 19% of veterans with no disability and 13% of non-veterans.
Sources: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/11/10/the-changing-face-of-americas-veteran-population/ and https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2017/veterans-day.html and https://adata.org/factsheet/employment-data-veterans-disabilities and https://www.bls.gov/news.release/vet.nr0.htm